Butterfly Sparks Designs

Thursday, December 10, 2009

The bluebird of happiness

Today is my birthday.

I hadn't thought about much about my birthday before today. With all that's been going on in our lives, it just hasn't warranted a lot of attention. However, this morning started with a sweet little reminder of just how awesome it is to celebrate another birthday.

Matthew bought me a gift a couple of weeks ago from his 4th grade class auction. Everyone is invited to bring in something from home that they donate to the auction. Then they use "bucks" earned in class to buy the various items. He told me the day of the auction that he used his money to buy me a birthday gift. He brought whatever it was into the house and hid it in his room.

First thing this morning each of my sons said happy birthday when they came down stairs. Matthew came with that, plus kisses and gifts.

First he gave me a valentine bear (from his room). It has a red pillow that says I love you. Really soft and cute! Then he gave me this little bluebird. When you push on it's tummy it actually chirps.



I gave him a hug and made the blue bird chirp. He told me when he got older he would buy me a "real" gift for my birthday. I assured him this was a real gift and that I loved it.

On the way to work, my mother-in-law called. As I shared the story of the bluebird she reminded me of the saying "blue bird of happiness." It has been on my mind throughout the day, so tonight when I got home I goggled the expression. Look what I found!

The mythology of the bluebird of happiness has deep roots that go back thousands of years. Indigenous cultures across the globe hold similar myths and beliefs about the bluebird. It is a widely accepted symbol of cheerfulness, happiness, prosperity, hearth and home, good health, new births, the renewal of springtime, etc. Virtually any positive sentiments may be attached to the bluebird.


It seems my little bluebird has a hidden meaning - a prophetic picture - to share with me. I am indeed filled with cheerfulness, good health and a lot of positive thoughts. When I glance at it I am reminded how blessed I am to experience another birthday.


Hope you have your own bluebird of happiness. If not, you can borrow mine.


Love,

Jan

3 comments:

Brenda Peterson said...

Jan,

I loved this blog. What a cool thing for God to do--give you another birthday and then, on said birthday, give you a reminder that you have a future and a hope as well. A prophetic little blue bird--right out of the heart of your 4th grader. I absolutely love it. Doesn't get any better than that, girlfriend!!!! Love ya!!

Ashley said...

Absolutely precious! :) The blue bird, your kids, you,... Precious! :) and, you have a great husband, too. Many blessings for many more birthdays!!!
Love you!

Melissa Terry said...

Hope you had a wonderful birthday and I wish I could have been with you to celebrate life and the life you bring to everyone around you.

Love you madly