Butterfly Sparks Designs

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Cancer is so limited!

As I am about to walk out the door to attend LAUGH, I wanted to post something that Mary Jo sent me in the past few weeks. I've been in my bathroom picking out what to wear and styling my hair for what will surely be the last time for months to come. I looked at myself in the mirror and realized that tomorrow (after we shave the hair) everyone will know that I have cancer. There won't be any person who with a second look can't tell. That makes you feel like cancer is so powerful - that it can take away your privacy and your hair. I looked back in the mirror again and realized that I'm still there - tomorrow I'll still be there - and next month it will still be me in the mirror. I am learning that cancer is so limited.

It cannot cripple Love.
It cannot shatter hope.
It cannot corrode faith.
It cannot destroy peace.
It cannot silence courage.
It cannot invade the soul.
It cannot steal eternal life.
It cannot conquer the spirit.

And it can't take me from me. I'm off to hang out with the girls - to rejoice in the opportunity to encourage one another and to do what I do - which is be happy, encourage, love life, celebrate God's goodness! It really is limited.

Love,
Jan

3 comments:

Selah said...

Dear Jan,
Just found your blog...I've been looking for it or your email, and just got it from Devi today.
Yes, what a journey! Thank you Lord that you go before us, you walk beside us, and your are our rear guard! Amen! So glad to have found you...I will email.
Sue Brown
arisingtoexcellence.org

Julie Lang said...

2 Cor 4:7-9
But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.

I especially like this scripture used in the song Trading my Sorrows - that goes on to say - "His JOY is going to be my strength." Glad you got to have a little joy.

And, I hope you keep that sense of humor!

Love you,
Julie

Anonymous said...

Godot has a great Aunt Dodie that went through all the hair losing/hair raising experiences that cancer brings (& beat it, PRAISE GOD!). I remember making the comment one time that I was having a bad hair day. She sweetly told me that after you had cancer you never made comments about a bad hair day. She just grinned ear to ear and said ANY day with hair was a good hair day. I have remembered that ever since and tried really hard to never make such flippant comments again.
Plus, you have such an overabundance of STYLE that is anyone can work a wig or a scarf it will be you, girlfriend!
There are some people that are so beautiful on the inside, that anything that may shine on the outside is just bonus. That is so true of you Jan. You are such a radiant beauty inside & out that hair or no hair really makes no difference. All people see when they look at you is Jesus & His love for them.
Leatrice